The aim of the Medical Emergencies Response Training (MERT) course is to enable staff to confidently respond and manage a medical emergency.
During Medical Emergencies or a Cardiac Arrest it would be reasonable to expect that any health professional present would do all they could within their skill set to promote recovery and to preserve life.
The course is worth 6 verifiable CPD (Continuing Professional Development) points.
This training course has the additional feature of a practical module in airway management, allowing delegate to practice basic maneouvres using airway adjuncts with all of the appropriate equipment.
Relying on Basic Life support alone when higher levels of skills and equipment are available is not acceptable whilst waiting for arrival of the Ambulance Service. On arrival of the Ambulance Service we must be able to provide an accurate and professional hand over of the patient.
The modules delivered include:
- The importance of early recognition of the critically ill patient
- The causes of cardiorespiratory arrest
- The ABCDE approach
- Chain of survival
- Basic life support
- Theory and practical airway management - carrying out basic manoeuvres with airway adjunct
- Ventilation of a patient using a face shield/pocket mask/BVM bag valve mask
- Emergency oxygen administration
- Automated External Defibrillation and AED safety
- By the end of the session, you will understand:
- How to carry out a formal approach to the assessment and treatment of an unconscious individual
- How to assess the sick patient using the ABCDE approach
- Recognise signs and symptoms of a cardiac arrest and treat appropriately
- Carry out effective basic life support
- Carry out airway manoeuvres +/- airway adjuncts
- The principles of defibrillation
- How to safely use an automated external defibrillator (AED)
It is recommended that this course is attended on an annual basis.
Ensure you receive appropriate training within the guidance provided by the UK Resuscitation Council Guidelines.
On-site training at your venue or ours to suit you.
£150 per person
£600 group rate
(max 8 people)
Please note: a £50 surcharge is applicable for venues over 20 miles outside of Brighton.
Also in this section
- Dentist CPD courses
- Emergency medical first aid and CPR training for the dental practice
- Anaphylaxis training
- Emergency drugs in general dental practice
- Combined ILS and PILS course for Sedationist
- Specialist courses
- AED training
- Medical gases
- First aid courses
- QA Level 2 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
- First aid for child care practitioners
- GPs and health professionals
- Foster carer emergency first aid at home/work
- Annual refresher
- Advanced medical response training
- Basic life support (BLS)